Monthly Archives: May 2016

Notes: Crosley Radios,”sneakers” feeding tube, Kola Celery Pepsin

Kokomo Radio Corporation, incorporated on January 16, 1936. The purpose was to make Crosley radios and parts in Kokomo, IN. In 1935 Crosley Radio Corp. began to make radios for Chevrolet in Kokomo, but was bought out by General Motors and changed the name to the Delco Radio  Division in 1936. Maybe Crosley intended to continue to manufacture radios in Kokomo, but I don’t think it happened. The incorporators were: Powell Crosley, Jr. – President & Treasurer, Cincinnati, Ohio; he was a wealthy entrepreneur and inventor who once worked for Fisher Automobile Co. in Indianapolis, IN. He manufactured and sold the affordable Crosley Radios, founded WLW Radio & Television in Cincinnati, and owned the Cincinnati Reds. He later made the Crosley Automobiles. Lewis M. Crosley – Powell’s brother and business partner. J.P. Rogers – Accountant? Charles Sawyer – Attorney. William B. Griese – engineer & foreman. L. A. Kellogg – V.P. Crosley Distributing Corp. and sales director.

H.D. Shipp Corporation, incorporated on October 24, 1940. “to be engaged in the manufacturing business, in the selling wholesale and retail of an article known as ‘sneakers’, said article being an assembled glass for the taking of liquids internally, to eliminate obnoxious tastes, and the making of the taking of the liquid more pleasant, said liquids to include oils, medicines, liquors and other liquids and drinking materials”. This seems to be a prototype of a medical feeding tube. the incorporators were: Harry D. Shipp -b. 1901, drug salesman. Patricia Shipp – b. 1903, Harry’s wife. L. Ert. (Lemuel Ertus) Slack – attorney, formerly U.S. District Attorney.

Kola Celery Pepsin Co., October 8, 1912 – 1916. 2546 Ashland, Indianapolis. “the manufacture of beverages and patent medicines”. Maybe the weirdness of the ingredients of this beverage made it seem more medicinal? The incorporators were Solomon Von Binzer – b. 1864 in Hungary, a dry goods proprietor. Isaac Von Binzer – clothing store manager, later an auctioneer. William L. Schaumburg – a cigar merchant, later a salesman for a steel company. The Von Binzers dropped the “Von” during WWI.


Notes:1930 TV?, Indiana’s first Civil War Casualty, H. Lauter Furniture, Saddle Reeds?, Indiana Truck Co.

Kruge-Frey Television & Electronic Corp. December 4, 1930 – 1931.                                                        “to generally deal in & with all kinds of electrical supplies, machinery, articles and appliances, including telephones, television, radios, batteries, lamps, and mill factory supplies”. This is a very early date to be selling televisions retail to the public; I don’t think there was a television station in the area. Maybe Kruge and Frey wanted to impress the public that they were modern, cutting edge electricians. Anyway, the business didn’t last. The owners were: August W. Krug – 42 years old, earlier worked for an electric supply company, and later got a job as an engineer for the Omar Baking Company. Helen Kruge –  36 years old, August’s wife. Lewis W. Frey – 36 years old, earlier  worked for the National Car Company as a machinist, and I think later moved to Detroit, Michigan,  to work for an auto company.

An Archive volunteer came across a Civil War burial card for Pvt. John Auten. Auten enrolled at South Bend, Indiana, on April 17, 1861, five days after the Confederates fired on Fort Sumter, the beginning of the Civil War. He joined the 9th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Co. L, commanded by Indianapolis native, Brig General Thomas Morris. They engaged the Confederates at Laurel Hill, Virginia, the first land battle in the Civil War. Auten was killed  on July 10, 1861, when the 9th Regiment charged the Confederate breastworks, becoming the first Indiana soldier killed in the Civil War. The burial card noted he died at nearby Belington, VA, (now West VA). Three days later his funeral was held at the South Bend, IN, Courthouse.

H. Lauter Furniture Industries, 1907 – 1932. “for the purpose of manufacturing furniture”. This business was located at 55 South Harding St, at the corner of West Washington Street and Harding Street. This was the largest furniture maker in Indianapolis at the time, and its building now houses the H. Lauter Lofts, Luxury Condominiums. This company was earlier started by Herman Lauter, a German immigrant, who was also instrumental in the founding of Manual High School.  I think the company mainly made office desks. Herman died in 1907,so this incorporation must have been a reorganization of the Company’s directors : Alfred Lauter – 35 years old and the son of Herman. Six female family members were also designated as directors.

L.A. Share Company, incorporated on January 26, 1903, “for the purpose of manufacturing, buying and selling Wood Rings, Saddle Reeds, Boxes, and other articles”. The directors were: Horace O. Wright – wholesale dry goods merchant.                                   David Wright – merchant. Louis A. Share – woodworker. Fletcher Hines – grandson of Calvin Fletcher, Indianapolis pioneer, lawyer, banker, large land owner in Marion County. At this time Hines was a horse breeder at Millersville, just northeast of Indianapolis. He might have been living at his uncle’s, Stoughton Fletcher’s, mansion in Millersville, Laurel Hall. There was a horse stable there for many years, through the 1970s, across the street from Laurel Hall.

An Archive volunteer, working on the records of the Soldiers and Sailors Childrens’ Home in Knightown, IN, came across a photo of a the Home’s van made by Indiana Truck. The van is sitting in front of the Home’s original administration building and the photo is marked “ca 1920”. Indiana Trucks were made in Marion, IN, from 1910 to 1933. The company was owned by George C. Harwood and Charles G. Barley.








Notes: The Jenny Motor Co., a painting and decorating co., the Traction Terminal Building,the Joseph Eastman Hospital

Jenny Electric Motor Company, in business from January 17, 1890 to ca 1910.  “the manufacture and sale of electric motors”. This Indianapolis company manufactured direct-current dynamos for large machines. Its factory was located on the east side next to the Belt Railroad. The directors were: Charles D. Jenny – President. He had an 1882 patent for an electric-arc lamp, and an 1884 patent for an Automatic Regulator for Dynamo-Electric Machines. Edwin W. Jenny – an electrician and older brother of Charles D Jenny. Amos K. Hollowed – V.P. and Treasurer of the D.H. Rank Publishing Co., and Treasurer of the Nordyke & Marmon Co. Albert A. Barnes – Proprietor of the Udell Wooden Ware Works.   Addison Bybee – President of the Woodburn-Serven Wheel Co. Julius F. Pratt – Treasurer of the Consumers Gs Trust Co., and V.P. and Treasurer of the Woodburn-Serven Wheel Co.

Joseph P. Deery & Company, established on January 16, 1914.                                                           “to conduct the business of painting and decorating houses & structures of all kinds, upon the interior and exterior”. The Directors were: Joseph P. Deery – 22 years old, decorator, later became a salesman for Sherwin-William Paints. Kenneth K. Wooling – 22 years old, later became an architect.James New – 22 years old, became a druggist. Bowman Elder – 25 years old, realtor. He was a descendent of Indianapolis pioneer John Elder, and was very active in Indiana’s Centennial Celebration in 1916.

Jones-Hogue Company, incorporated on April 17, 1903. “to promote, finance, construct, equip, rent and operate  in the State of Indiana and elsewhere, street and interurban railroads and plants for the creation and distribution of electric and other heat, light and power”. The mammoth Traction Terminal Building, located in Indianapolis at the n/w corner of Market & Illinois Streets was erected in 1904. Maybe this company was organized to bid on the Terminal’s construction. The Directors were: H. Whitford Jones – President. He was a building contractor. George A. Taylor – he was a railroad engineer. Arthur B. Hogue – V.P. and General Manager. He became the proprietor with William M Prosser of the Terminal Station Saloon. George A. Hogue, 2nd V.P. – A carpenter. Edward E. Elliot – Secretary. A machinist. Lucie L. Green – Bookkeeper?

The Joseph Eastman Hospital, in business from July 1, 1905 to 1921; “to establish and maintain a general hospital for the treatment of sick, wounded and injured persons, giving medical, surgical and obstetrical treatment thereto…and to establish and maintain a school for the education and training,of nurses”. This medical clinic was located at 331 N. Delaware St. in downtown Indianapolis. This was probably a name change from the Joseph Eastman Sanitorium, which was located at the same address. The Directors were:  Thomas B. Eastman, Physician. Joseph Rilus Eastman,  Physician. Mary K Eastman, Secretary.


Notes: Canada Dry Bottling, Dental Parlors, Barn Door Locks, Kelvinator Refrigerators

Canada Dry Bottling Company; July 13,1939 – 1945 Tom Joyce, President. He also owned the local 7-UP franchise. Frank J. McCarthy Vice-President. G.F. Joyce, Sec-treasurer. Robert Joyce, General Manager. E.H. Peck. Operations were at 123 West 22nd Street, Indianapolis.

Boston Systems Dentists (Originally Taft’s Dental Parlors) March 2, 1917 – May 31, 1943             “engaging in & carrying on the business of dentistry & every branch thereof; the manufacture, buying, selling and dealing in dental supplies, artificial dentists’ crowns & bridgework, porcelain inlays, and other merchandise.” Directors were C.A. Cash, J. Dan Moschelle, Omar O’Horrow. In Indianapolis the business was known as Taft’s Dental Parlors and was located at 25 1/2 West Washington Street. On December 7, 1929, the business was bought & the name changed to the Boston System Dentists, and was moved to 800 Broadway, Gary, Indiana. The new owners were Elizabeth Scott – President, C. H. Lietzman – Treasurer, and G. B. Gardner – Secretary.

The Kelloniemi Manufacturing Co. February 14, 1918. “to manufacture barn door locks, buy, sell, import, export and generally deal in barn door locks and machinery for the purpose of manufacturing barn door locks.” The directors were W. Kelloniemi, Victor Viiki, and Walter Anderson, all from Lead, South Dakota.

Kelvinator Indianapolis, Inc. August 11, 1927 – 1929. “engaging in the business of buying, selling, and generally dealing in mechanical, electrical, and other refrigeration and cooling appliances and products, particularly Kelvinator Refrigerators.” The Kelvinator Company was founded in 1914 and was manufactured in Detroit, Michigan. The Kelvinator brand of refrigeration systems is still being manufactured in different locations around the world. The owners of this Indianapolis franchise were Charles L. Bieler, Maria F. Bieler, and Charles W. Richardson.